Saturday, May 3, 2008

Worship MUSIC

I just had a conversation with a good friend of mine about music and specifically worship music. I mentioned that I don't like most worship music and that it makes it really hard for me to enter into a proper attitude of worship. She came back with the argument that the music shouldn't matter and that worship comes from my attitude towards God at the time and how I approach it.

Now, I don't totally disagree with my friend. I agree that worship comes from my attitude, BUT, where the music and lyrics become a problem is when they become a distraction. I guess that you could still argue that, if we agree that it IS my attitude that makes the difference, then the bad music shouldn't matter. Maybe it's just me, but isn't it hard to worship when the music is terrible? What if the lyrics are ridiculous or just don't make sense? Maybe those lyrics don't resonate with how you feel. I don't think that I'm awful for being distracted by the very medium that is supposed to facilitate my worshiping God. Maybe I Am....

Thoughts?

3 comments:

WICK said...

some would look at the sum of where creation stands right now, and say "it's horrible"

others would look at it and find the areas and ways to continue worshiping God in it, through it, and with it...allowing His redemptive work to happen.

Jake T said...

My philosophy has always been that if I'm critiquing the theology of a worship song while I'm singing it, I'm only 2 steps away from complaining about the color of the carpet.

Which isn't to say there isn't a time and place for that. Just that during the music time isn't it.

I'm with Wick--I kind of dig crappy music. It's way more worshipful to me than music that tries really hard to be good.

At the same time, there've been days that I'm so embarrassed for the people on stage that worship was right out.

Bethany said...

Personally, I'm a lyric person...for any time of music. It's very important to me to know what exactly I'm singing, playing or dancing to.
I think that worship is in the heart and it bugs me a lot when people complain about styles and worship...well, I don't know. I just think that one can worship with a hymn, a comtemporary song, a "non-christian" song, no lyrics, no music, etc, etc....It's an attitude. yep...that's what I have to say... : )