Thursday, May 15, 2008

Birthdays and cats

Today is my birthday. I really don't like birthdays. At least mine. I just don't get why people want to give me things and wish a happy birthday because of an event 24 years ago that I had no control over. It bugs me. I really just want to be left alone and live it like a normal day. I won't let anyone buy me presents or throw me a party. I went to lunch with my parents today and had to sneak out early just to make sure I didn't get sung to in front of a restaurant full of people.

As much as I don't like celebrating my birthday, I would have gladly let people sing to me today if I didn't have to watch my mom's 19 year old cat die...with my mom, no less. Now, I'm not a fan of cats and even though this cat has been in our family for a long time, I don't have what you would call an emotional attachment to it at all. The sad part is that this cat was born 8 days after my grandma died and so in a weird way has always been an extension of my grandma to my mom. It was extremely hard on her. I think she has finally accepted that her cat is better off now than she was 5 hours ago. She was pretty much miserable, old, and feeble. Anyway, it'll be interesting now to remember this day on my birthday in the future. Maybe it will give it a little meaning.

1 comment:

WICK said...

have a coke. u'll feel better. happy b-day. :)