Sunday, April 13, 2008

What draws us to church?

We had Living Sacrifice this weekend at Foursquare and the church building is just unbelievable. There is a lobby with big flat screen monitors, a coffee shop, a youth room with a stage and guitar hero, a huge sanctuary/gym that has a sound system that will rival anything a major concert tour can offer, and enough cameras to film the next Die Hard movie...I hope anyway, John McClain is awesome! Oh wait! I forgot...THE ADULT SIZED PLAY PLACE WITH BALL PIT! WHAT THE CRAP!?!?!?!?

I don't have a problem with any of those things individually, especially the adult sized play place (instead of getting kicked out of McDonald's I'll just go over to Foursquare). My issue is this...at what point are we going to church because it is "cool" or "entertaining" instead of Jesus and community? Are we going to church to learn and grow or to get a white mocha latte?

I want to be clear that I'm not crapping on the people that attend this church. I know quite a few and they are amazing people. I'm just not sure how this stuff looks to others. What are we telling those that we are trying to witness to? At what point do these things become a distraction?

This was a little bit of a rant and I have quite a few other things to say on the issue. I held back quite a bit. Maybe I'm just jealous that I can't go to my church on Sunday and play in the ball pit...

5 comments:

Bethany said...

I totally understand and agree with you. When did church, when did worship become what (capital) I can get out of it? When it's really about serving and exalting! Why do we complain so much because I couldn't feel the worship, I didn't get goosebumps, I don't like the style, I wish that my church had a rock band every Sunday...I don't know.
It's such a fine line between trying to draw people in and keep them, because what we have is EVERYTHING and apparently not attractive enough on its own, and our own worship and service.

I hope that makes sense...basically: yes, I agree.

WICK said...

religious obesity?

ngerman said...

I like that. Religious obesity. I'm not sure if it can be said in a better way...

The Giffen Family said...

I must admit "religious obesity" is a good term for it. Just make sure that no obese religious people get in the ballpit with you :)

WICK said...

I kinda like it still. Fat people aren't always unhealthy. Just genetically prone to gain more weight.

They have to work harder to stay in shape on the inside.

Jesus said something about rich people, and eyes of needles...not impossible...just harder.